Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Praying for Missionaries


Over the years there have been people that I know pray for me.  As time goes by, I have lost some of these dear prayer warriors.  I lost several in recent years as they went to their eternal home.  When this happens, I find myself thinking, “Who will pray for me now?”  

Maybe you have experienced this too.  This has caused me to be more diligent in my prayer life for others.  I was introduced to a tool a few years back that has been life-changing for me.  It helped me to create a plan that works for me instead of trying to make myself fit into someone else’s mold.  

As a result of working on this vital spiritual discipline, I have learned to pray more specifically for others.  One of the areas the Lord has lead me is in praying Scripture.  I believe  the Lord delights in our prayers when they contain His Word.

If you are a missionary woman, you understand the burdens that we face more than others and can pray more effectively.  A few years ago, I heard of a missionary family that walked through the unimaginable.  Although I never experienced that myself, I could somewhat imagine the difficulty and I began to pray for her and her dear family.  I saw the Lord answer my prayers and it was a great encouragement to me.  I have never physically met this family.  They may not even know that I pray for them.  What matters is that God used me to pray for them and He used them to encourage me to pray more specifically.

If you are reading this and you are not a missionary, your prayers are no less important.  My husband often tells others that we need your prayers more than we need your financial support.  This is so true as we serve in a spiritually dark culture.  

The tool that I mentioned above is wonderful for helping me to remember who and what to pray for.  Here is a download that you can use to begin to pray for missionaries that includes Scripture references.  I hope that you will find this useful.  


“Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.”  ~Hebrews 4:16

2 comments:

Joyful said...

Thank you for this important post. I am not a sponsored missionary though I do think that all believers are called to be missionaries either on the field or at home. We also need to support those on the field in prayer and/or finances. I try to pray for the needs of missionaries and your blog post helps me to see how I might do so more effectively. God bless you and your mission!

shauna Congelliere said...

Thank you for this beautiful and thorough list of prayers for missionaries!!! I love it and and printing it for my personal use and to share on missions Monday in my Bible journaling group!