Thursday, June 8, 2017

Abide



My eyes open with the morning light.

A fresh, new day.

I rise and start on the plans for the day.




The list is long, but my strength seems enough.

Breakfast, dishes, chores.

My strength begins to fade.




I hear Him call.

"Abide."

Language class, homeschooling the children, cleaning.




I feel it in my muscles... in my bones.

A quick break for lunch. My eyes are heavy, but I must press on.




Visit a neighbor. I struggle to understand her. I feel like a failure in my language skills again. I walk home with my shoulders slumped.

Then I hear Him call.

"Abide."

Prepare my children's class lesson. Walk to the store for dinner supplies. My strength is almost gone, but the day is still hovering over me like the blazing sun.



Dinner prepared. Dishes washed. Clothes ironed for the next day. Children tucked in bed. Nothing left to give... nothing left... I wasn't strong enough...




I hear Him call... "Abide."

Rewind the day and start it again...

My eyes open with the morning light.

A fresh, new day.




I rise and get alone with Him. I open the Book. He speaks to me.

John 15:5 "I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing."

My strength will not be enough, so I must abide.

Breakfast, dishes, chores.




I rest in Him... I abide.

I hear Him call, "My grace is sufficient for thee."

Language class, homeschooling the children, cleaning.

A joy. A peace. A strength not my own.

A quick break for lunch. A prayer to focus on the tasks still before me.

Visit a neighbor. I struggle to understand her, but I know that He can do things I cannot do. A hug. A smile. We may struggle to understand each other, but she can see Christ loving her through me. His love has no language barrier. I walk home trusting Him to work.




Prepare my children's class lesson. Walk to the store for dinner supplies. My strength is almost gone, but His strength sustains me. His Word guides my steps.

Dinner prepared. Dishes washed. Clothes ironed for the next day. Children tucked in bed. A loving home. A peaceful evening. I lay down upon my bed and whisper a prayer of thanksgiving. He did it. He used me again. He sustained me.

I hear Him whisper, "My strength is made perfect in weakness... Abide."

1 comment:

Lou Ann Keiser said...

Just beautiful, Charity, and so needed! Abide.